KIPP Bay Area Schools
2019 – 2020 Education Protection Account (EPA) Spending
Proposition 30, The Schools and Local Public Safety Protection Act of 2012, approved by the voters on November 6, 2012, temporarily increases the states sales tax rate for all taxpayers and the personal income tax rates for upper‐income taxpayers.
The new revenues generated from Proposition 30 are deposited into a newly created state account called the Education Protection Account (EPA). School districts, county offices of education, and charter schools (LEAs) will receive funds from the EPA based on their proportionate share of the statewide revenue limit amount. A corresponding reduction is made to an LEA’s revenue limit EPA entitlement. LEAs will receive EPA payments quarterly beginning with the 2013‐14 Fiscal Year.
Proposition 30 provides that all K‐14 local agencies have the sole authority to determine how the funds received from the EPA are spent, but with these provisions: The spending plan must be approved by the governing board during a public meeting. EPA funds cannot be used for the salaries or benefits of administrators or any other administrative costs.
Each year, the local agency must publish on its Website an accounting of how much money was received from the EPA and how the funds were expended.
KIPP Bay Area Schools estimated 2019‐2020 EPA Entitlement per CDE P‐1 data — $5,756,786
This total is comprised of the following amounts by school:
- KIPP Bayview Academy—————————- $400,183
- KIPP Bridge Charter School———————– $859,134
- KIPP Excelencia Community Prep————— $159,782
- KIPP Heartwood Academy————————- $685,931
- KIPP Heritage Academy—————————- $89,264
- KIPP Prize Preparatory Academy—————- $80,456
- KIPP San Francisco Bay Academy ————- $452,615
- KIPP Summit Academy—————————– $685,347
- KIPP King Collegiate——————————– $1,256,056
- KIPP San Jose Collegiate————————– $858,514
- KIPP San Francisco College Preparatory—— $71,222
- KIPP Valiant Community Prep——————– $105,882
- KIPP Bayview Elementary School————— $20,332
- KIPP Navigate College Prep———————- $32,068
EPA funds were used to cover salary of non‐administrative certified staff, specifically